5-year-old boy previously healthy presenting with altered mental status, actively seizing, started at home. Team consults neurology, gives multiple doses benzos (2-3) and second line antiepileptics (x2) prior to seizure cessation. Considers broad seizure differential. If the team recognizes hypoglycemia and gives dextrose, seizure initially stops, however promptly resumes with euglycemia. After 2nd dose benzo patient becomes apneic requiring intubation with RSI. If team attempts intubation without paralysis, patient vomits and desats. If team fails to recognize and manage respiratory distress, patient goes into PEA arrest requiring 2 rounds CPR and epinephrine before ROSC. Upon arrival of family member at end of case who provides history of inadvertent alcohol ingestion, team discusses starting patient on a dextrose infusion and admits to PICU.
The following slides are deliberately “view only” (since they are the master slides). To use them – you simply need to copy and paste the slides you would like to use into your own, new Google Slides Document.
How can you make your Virtual Resus Room using these slides?
- Click on link for Room
- This will open in a new tab as a “View Only” Google Slide document
- Google Slide -> File -> Make a copy -> Entire presentation
- Copy document pops up. Name case. Press Ok.
- Name slide set something generic like “Room A” so it doesn’t contain spoilers when you share with your learners!
- This will open new tab as your editable Google Slide document
- File -> Version History -> Name Current Version -> “Unused Room”
- This will save this untouched version of the room before the case starts (See “Resetting Room after Case” in “Running the Sim”:)
Case Written By:
Case modified from ALIEM EMReSCu Sim curriculum by Dr. James Leung and Dr. Rebekah Burns. Virtual Room created by Sarah Foohey.