A 4 year old boy appearing unwell with respiratory distress is brought to the resuscitation bay. He is found to be septic secondary to pneumonia. He will require resuscitation with supplemental oxygen, fluids, pressors, and early antibiotics. He will eventually require intubation.
This case integrates the following multimedia: video of child with work of breathing, video of delayed cap refill, video demonstrating use of 3-way stopcock, and audio clip of crackles. It also includes a procedural model where learners will have to walk through the steps involved with placing an IO:
The following slides are deliberately “view only” (since they are the master slides). To use them – you simply need to copy and paste the slides you would like to use into your own, new Google Slides Document.
How can you make your Virtual Resus Room using these slides?
- Click on link for Room
- This will open in a new tab as a “View Only” Google Slide document
- Google Slide -> File -> Make a copy -> Entire presentation
- Copy document pops up. Name case. Press Ok.
- Name slide set something generic like “Room A” so it doesn’t contain spoilers when you share with your learners!
- This will open new tab as your editable Google Slide document
- File -> Version History -> Name Current Version -> “Unused Room”
- This will save this untouched version of the room before the case starts (See “Resetting Room after Case” in “Running the Sim”:)
Case Written By:
Dr. James Leung, McMaster