This is a case of a 64-year-old male with a history of recurrent urinary tract infections. He presents to the ED with signs and symptoms of pyelonephritis. He was started on iv ceftriaxone and admitted to CTU 3 days ago. Overnight he becomes lethargic, disoriented, and hypotensive. He will have increasing SOB He will require transfer to the ICU as vasopressors will be needed. His blood cultures and urine culture grow E. coli and susceptibility indicates extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) susceptible only to carbapenems, ciprofloxacin, and nitrofurantoin. This case covers the pathophysiology and management of sepsis. It also emphasizes the importance of antibiotic resistance, recognizing the risk factors for resistance and appropriate empiric antibiotic therapy.
The following slides are deliberately “view only” (since they are the master slides). To use them – you simply need to copy and paste the slides you would like to use into your own, new Google Slides Document.
How can you make your Virtual Resus Room using these slides?
- Click on link for Room
- This will open in a new tab as a “View Only” Google Slide document
- Google Slide -> File -> Make a copy -> Entire presentation
- Copy document pops up. Name case. Press Ok.
- Name slide set something generic like “Room A” so it doesn’t contain spoilers when you share with your learners!
- This will open new tab as your editable Google Slide document
- File -> Version History -> Name Current Version -> “Unused Room”
- This will save this untouched version of the room before the case starts (See “Resetting Room after Case” in “Running the Sim”:)
Case Written By:
Case and Virtual Room created by Dr. Kevin Shi, UBC